New to NCSSM
Welcome to NCSSM!
The purpose of this page is to prepare new NCSSM community members, including students, parents, faculty, and staff, to use the various information systems used at NCSSM.
- 1 Accounts and Roles at NCSSM
- 2 Parents and Students
Accounts and Roles at NCSSM
Please review the following information based on your role at NCSSM:
- Students: You have been issued an NCSSM account which should look something like your last name, the number 20, and your first initial. For example, Katie Smith would be Smith20K. This NCSSM account is also your email address so Smith20K@ncssm.edu would be your email address. This is your official email address and the only one to whom the school will send correspondence.
- Parents/Guardians: You have also been issued an NCSSM account which should look similar to the student account except that it will end in .family or .fam. So, the family account in this example would be Smith20K.family. Likewise your NCSSM email address is Smith20K.firstname.lastname@example.org. This is your official email address and the only one to whom the school will send correspondence.
- Faculty and Staff: Your account username will be <first name>.<last name> with your email address being the same as your username and "@ncssm.edu". For example, John.Brown@ncssm.edu.
Note: You have been issued a temporary password with your NCSSM account. You will need to change your password before accessing your email, My NCSSM, the Welcome Site and more.
Parents and Students
Instructional video for parents and students
This video should help parents and students to get started with accessing school information and forms and both answers common questions as well as addresses typical issues that might arise.
Set your NCSSM account password
- In your web browser of choice, navigate to: http://password.ncssm.edu
- Type in your NCSSM username and the temporary password supplied by ITS and click Sign in. Note: If you don't remember your username or password, then you'll need to contact ITS to get it reset. See below for instructions on how to do so.
- If logging into this password management site for the first time, you will be asked to answer several security questions so that you can reset the password yourself in the future using the Forgotten Password button.
- At the home page, please click on the tile that says Change Password (see below)
- For the New Password, type in the same password that you would like to use, with a minimum length of 8 characters. For Confirm Password, type the same thing.
- Click the Change Password button to save your password.
For more information for NCSSM account and password management, please review the following detailed instructions: http://wiki.ncssm.edu/index.php/NCSSM_Accounts
Accessing information and forms using My NCSSM, Welcome Site, and NCSSM email account
My NCSSM is your one-stop shop website for connecting you to the various information systems on campus. It can be accessed at https://www.ncssm.edu/my-ncssm/.
- Navigate to the NCSSM homepage at https://www.ncssm.edu and click on My NCSSM at the top-right, or go directly to http://my.ncssm.edu/.
- Scroll down through the "All Bookmarks" list and select the Welcome Site from the list. You can also use this address for accessing the Welcome Site directly: https://welcome.ncssm.edu
Please note that you can click the star icon to the left of any bookmarks in this list to pin them as favorites to the top of the My NCSSM site.
- From this same All Bookmarks list on My NCSSM, you can select Google Mail to access your NCSSM email account. You can also use this address for accessing your NCSSM email account directly: http://mail.ncssm.edu
Again, please note that parents and students each have their own separate NCSSM accounts and email accounts for all official school correspondence.
For more information, please visit these instructions for Logging into My NCSSM.
Accessing forms directly in Focus
In case you have issues accessing forms from the Welcome site as instructed above and in the "Getting Started" video, please use the following instructions:
- In your web browser, navigate to https://focus.ncssm.edu/
- Authenticate using your NCSSM account username and password and click Log In. You can also click "Log In with Google".
- At the top-right drop-down menu for the school year, make sure that 2018-2019 is selected.
- Click the My Child tab.
- Click Child Info.
- Select desired forms from the left-hand side. As you complete each form, click the Save button at the bottom.
For more information, please visit the Focus forms guide for parents.
If you run into any problems with your NCSSM account, the Welcome Site, or forms, please let ITS know.
Tech requirements and laptop specs
Please review the following recommendations for hardware specifications for laptops for new students at NCSSM:
If you have any additional questions regarding laptop requirements and recommendations, please send ITS a ticket.